The teenage brain goes through an extraordinary amount of growth, making adolescence an optimal time to elevate the traditional learning regimen. By teaching students to think and reason on a deeper level, rather than memorize facts, they can learn in a way that leads to more creativity, innovation and imagination. Our training program enables teachers to optimize learning to prepare students for success in the classroom and beyond.
Teach your students how to learn, not just what to learn.
In addition, many schools offer a SMART Club, an after-school enrichment program that allows students to flex their SMART skills in a collaborative, thought-provoking environment. The Adolescent Reasoning Initiative team provides resources for teachers to tailor SMART club activities to their students.
WHAT IS THE PROGRAM?
During the summer, the Adolescent Reasoning Initiative team trains middle and high school teachers to impart SMART (Strategic Memory Advanced Reasoning Training) strategies to their students. SMART is a series of cognitive strategies that can be applied to any learning context.
HOW DOES IT HELP?
In previous studies exploring the impact of SMART on academic outcomes of middle school students, we have seen:
- 25% increase in gist reasoning, which is the ability to derive abstract meaning from information presented
- 18% improvement in increased memory for facts
- Nearly 50% improvement on commended scores for reading, math, science and social studies
- Nearly 50% increase in standardized test passing rates (specifically for eighth-grade students)
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE ADOLESCENT REASONING INITIATIVE?
Middle school or high school teachers who have the capacity to attend training over the summer and to implement SMART in all of his/her classes over a 10-week period during the school year. Based on our research, we aim for teachers to reach a minimum of 50 unduplicated students each school year. Teachers who can impart SMART strategies in at least five different classes will be given preference.
WHAT IS THE TRAINING SCHEDULE?
A week-long SMART training. Teachers attend training Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 3 PM.
Principals and administrators may attend a one-day SMART leadership workshop to encourage SMART to become part of the school culture.
The Brain Performance Institute provides site visits during implementation and is available throughout the school year to provide additional resources to help teachers maintain the fidelity of the program.
WHERE IS TRAINING LOCATED?
Brain Performance Institute
2200 W. Mockingbird Lane
Dallas, TX 75235
View our Campus Map
What are the benefits of the Adolescent Reasoning Initiative?
GREATER ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE AND CLASSROOM ENGAGEMENT
- Improved study skills and homework efficiency, enabling assignments to be completed with greater retention and understanding
- Broadened analytical and complex problem-solving skills
- Enhanced frontal lobe capacity, the core problem-solving and judgment center of the brain
- Expanded responsibility in school and personal connection to the subject matter