The teenage brain goes through an extraordinary amount of growth, making adolescence an optimal time to elevate the traditional learning regimen. By teaching students to think and reason on a deeper level, rather than memorize facts, they can learn in a way that leads to more creativity, innovation and imagination. Our training program enables teachers to optimize learning to prepare students for success in the classroom and beyond.
Teach your students how to learn, not just what to learn.
WHAT IS THE PROGRAM?
The Adolescent Reasoning Initiative gathers public middle and high school teachers across the nation for a week-long training session to bring SMART (Strategic Memory Advanced Reasoning Training) to their schools. SMART is a series of cognitive strategies that can be applied to any learning context and decision making in social situations.
WHAT RESULTS HAVE BEEN SEEN?
- 25% increase in gist reasoning, the ability to derive abstract meaning from information presented, by students living in poverty.
- 18% improvement in increased memory for facts, regardless of socioeconomic status.
- Commended scores were approximately double on reading, math, science and social studies.
- Teachers have reported more energized, creative and thought-filled classrooms.
- Parents have shared that their children are more confident and excited to learn.
- The eighth-grade SMART-trained students passed the STAAR at nearly double the rate of students at the same school who did not receive SMART training.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE ADOLESCENT REASONING INITIATIVE?
Each SMART-trained teacher must have the capacity to implement SMART throughout the day in all of his/her classes reaching a minimum of 50 unique 6th, 7th, 8th and/or 9th grade students. Teachers who can teach SMART to at least five different classes of students throughout the day will be given preference.
WHAT IS THE TRAINING SCHEDULE?
A week-long SMART training. Teachers attend training Monday - Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Principals and administrators may attend a one-day SMART leadership workshop to encourage SMART to become part of the school culture.
The Brain Performance Institute provides site visits during implementation and is available throughout the school year to provide additional resources to help teachers maintain the fidelity of the program.
An after-school enrichment program that allows students to flex their SMART skills in a collaborative, thought-provoking environment.
The Brain Performance Institute provides resources for teachers to tailor SMART club activities to their school population.
WHERE IS TRAINING LOCATED?
Brain Performance Institute
2200 W. Mockingbird Lane
Dallas, TX 75235
What are the benefits of the Adolescent Reasoning Initiative?
GREATER ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE
- Improved study skills and homework efficiency, enabling assignments to be completed with greater retention and understanding
- Broadened analytical and complex problem-solving skills
- Enhanced frontal lobe capacity, the core problem-solving and judgment center of the brain
INCREASED CLASSROOM ENGAGEMENT
- Expanded responsibility in school and personal connection to the subject matter
- Elevated study skills and homework efficiency