Reasoning, problem solving, and innovation: all necessary competencies for life success. Early adolescence is an optimal time to enhance learning, but many educators do not have the benefit of scientific methods that foster these skills. Our training program enables teachers to take advantage of this important brain development stage to optimize student learning for success in the classroom and beyond.
Teaching students how to learn, not just what to learn.
WHAT IS THE PROGRAM?
Middle school and ninth grade teachers who want to boost their students’ thinking join like-minded educators to learn how to implement Strategic Memory Advanced Reasoning Training (SMART) in their classrooms. SMART is a cognitive neuroscience-based approach designed specifically to improve higher-order thinking skills.
HOW DOES IT HELP?
Our research has shown that SMART-trained students have a:
- 25% or greater increase in comprehension and depth of understanding
- 18% increase in memory for facts
- 50% increase in standardized test passing rates in reading, math, science, and social studies
- 90% increase in subject mastery rates on standardized tests
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE ADOLESCENT REASONING INITIATIVE?
Middle school and ninth grade teachers who can implement the SMART program with at least 70 students throughout the school day. SMART implementation requires 10 classroom sessions (45-50 minutes) over a four-week period.
WHAT IS THE TRAINING SCHEDULE?
Five days of intensive SMART training for teachers in July. Training takes place at Center for BrainHealth. The 2019 summer schedule is July 8-July 12 and July 22-July 26, Monday - Friday, 9 AM - 3 PM.
Principals or their designated administrators are asked to attend a one-day SMART leadership workshop.
In addition, the Center for BrainHealth’s Adolescent Reasoning Initiative team provides site visits during SMART implementation to support teachers as they deliver the cognitive neuroscience-based program to their students.
WHERE IS TRAINING LOCATED?
Center for BrainHealth
2200 W. Mockingbird Lane
Dallas, TX 75235
View our Campus Map
What Are The Benefits Of The Adolescent Reasoning Initiative?
GREATER ACADEMIC PERFORMANCE AND CLASSROOM ENGAGEMENT
- Teachers report that their students are more engaged, confident, and show depth of reasoning and critical thinking after completing the SMART program.
- Teachers from all content areas report their own thinking is enhanced with creativity and innovation.
- Administrators see improved teaching styles in their SMART trained educators.