Stress Resilience for the Front Line
Those on the front lines of the COVID-19 crisis – front line personnel and hospital staff, law enforcement officers, EMT’s, grocery store workers and other essential workers – are under a tremendous amount of pressure and stress in normal circumstances that has only been amplified during the current pandemic. A study released by JAMA in March 2020 looking at the mental health outcomes of 1,257 health care workers attending to COVID-19 patients in 34 hospitals in China, where the outbreak started, found that 50% showed signs of depression, 45% reported anxiety and 72% had some form of psychological distress.
Fortunately, we have the power to change our threshold of stress. Research has shown that by harnessing our executive function skills, we can down-regulate emotional responses to stress and effectively reframe threats as opportunities. Digesting an onslaught of information, navigating dynamic high-stress environments, and employing critical reasoning skills are critical for success in any industry – but these strategic cognitive abilities are often left untrained.
Learn and progress at your own pace.
BrainHealth Boost Video Series for Front Line & First Responders:
- Six brief (2-3 minute) videos tailored to front-line healthcare providers and first responders, presenting our cognitive strategies and tools to increase brain healthy habits for stress resilience.
Cognitive training modules: (Recommend training 10-15 minutes daily, 4-hours total)
- SMART – The Center for BrainHealth’s Strategic Memory Advanced Reasoning Training (SMART) is an evidence-based cognitive training program focused on enhancing top-down executive function. Designed by cognitive neuroscientists and clinicians at the Center for BrainHealth and based on more than 20 years of scientific study and translational validation, SMART teaches a set of cognitive strategies to train the brain to filter unnecessary data, rapidly abstract and apply information across contexts, and tactically think through social, workplace, and personal problems and tasks in innovative ways – all for improved decision-making.
- Stress Solutions – tactical tools for down-regulating emotional responses to stress and reframing threats as opportunities.
- Sleep – the scientific benefits of sleep, and practical strategies for achieving optimal sleep hygiene.
To get started, you will need to sign up and provide a quick email verification.
Delivered live via Zoom, recording will be shared.
Stress Resilience Town Halls: (45-minutes)
- Interactive conversation led by subject-matter experts who provide practical tips for implementing SMART tools and answer any questions you may have.
JULY 21 | AUGUST 18 | SEPTEMBER 15*
*The June 23 Town Hall has been rescheduled for September 15.
Guided Mindfulness Practices:
- 10-minute Breath-Focused Brain Training – Participants are guided through a 10-minute mindful meditation to focus on more intentional breathing to calm the stress response.
JULY 15 | AUGUST 12 | September 9
- 20-minute Guided Body Scan – Participants are guided through a 20-minute body scan meditation to down-regulate emotional response to stress, recharge and build nervous system resilience.
JULY 29 | AUGUST 26 | September 23